Tiny whine

NSFW May. 2nd, 2007 09:32 pm
ithilwen: (Default)
[personal profile] ithilwen
I did something stupid last month, courtesy of various real-life distractions: I forgot to log into the GondolinRPG email. As a result, Hotmail deactivated the account. I reactivated it yesterday, but all the many emails that had been stored there are gone now, all 4 years' worth. Waaah! I know they were of no real importance, but I liked having them around just for sentimental value, and I really wish there was some way to get them all back.

*makes a mental note to never use a free email service for anything of actual importance*

Date: 2007-05-03 03:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sinneahtes.livejournal.com
Ooh, my sympathies! Hotmail's done that to me before, too. :\

Date: 2007-05-06 10:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Hotmail's apparently done that to a lot of people. I should have been more careful, and forwarded those old emails somewhere else if I wanted to be sure of keeping them around. But I didn't, and now it's too late to remedy that mistake.

Date: 2007-05-03 04:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tehta.livejournal.com
You know, the gmail deactivation period is theoretically nine months...

Date: 2007-05-06 10:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Unfortunately, gmail didin't exist four years ago when the Gondolin RPG began, and now the game's so slow there's little point in switcing to another account. I don't expect I'll be seeing many new game-related emails. I just wish I'd thought to forward all those old emails somewhere else so I'd have backup copies now!

Date: 2007-05-03 10:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wood-elf.livejournal.com
Aw. :( Hope there weren't any new applications in the mix. Four years on the internet is practically ancient history.

Some free emails are all right (gmail is nice) but hotmail isn't one of them...

Date: 2007-05-06 10:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
I doubt there were any new applications; that's one of the reasons I wasn't checking the account as often as I used to - things have slowed down so much there was rarely any new mail there to check. I'm just irritated to have lost all that old game history.

If the game were more active, I'd switch things over from Hotmail to another account, but now I don't think it's worth the effort. If I ever do need another free email account, though, gmail will be it for sure!

Date: 2007-05-03 11:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kazaera.livejournal.com
:(

I know what you mean; I have ridiculous amounts of e-mail backlog simply because I cannot bring myself to delete stuff. I'm a packrat, yo.

I don't suppose you speak German? Because www.web.de is the single best free online web service I have ever seen and, I'm sure, doesn't delete your account if you forget to log in for a while. Hotmail is just no comparison at all. Otherwise, have you tried gmail?

Date: 2007-05-06 10:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
I tried gmail for awhile, out of curiosity, but my account's not active anymore. There's really no point in switching the Gondolin RPG email account to another service, as the game has slowed down tremendously these days and we just don't get much email. If things were otherwise, I would definitely look for a new free email service!

Date: 2007-05-03 04:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] spacellama.livejournal.com
Oh, no! Hotmail does seem real itchy to delete accounts that have been on hiatus. Yahoo seems to keep 'em around for a lot longer.

Is there anyone else who has been on the RPG as long as you have and might have all the posts still?

Date: 2007-05-06 10:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Unfortunately, no. Those game emails were only kept in that Hotmail account, so they're gone for good now. It's very annoying; I couldn't have been more than a day or two late checking in to the account. One late interval in four years - but that was all it took to lose everything.

Profile

ithilwen: (Default)
Ithilwen

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 04:14 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios