ithilwen: (Default)
[personal profile] ithilwen
The weekend's here! Finally! And the weather outside is gorgeous. Definitely going back to the zoo tomorrow (assuming it doesn't rain).

Would go today, but I was a bad Ithilwen yesterday, and left a lot of work unfinished on my desk. So this afternoon will be spent reading Pap smears and dictating a few leftover surgicals. Sigh. At least I have the RPG to distract me when I'm done. The recent threads between Ecthelion and Meleth, Rogion and Narminco, Glorfindel and Idril, and Galdor and Legolas have been lovely. I do hope the Maeglin/Salgant fight conversation gets underway soon! And that Tuor posts again.

My local astronomy club's monthly meeting was held last night. The program was on mirror-making, and was a lot of fun. There was some talk about setting up a class for the club members; if that becomes a reality, I think I might sign up. It would definitely be a lot of fun! Of course, grinding the mirror is only the first part - then I'd have to build the scope itself. But that might be a fun project, also (although my woodworking skills are minimal at best).

Just a whole lot of nothing for my entry today. Well, we can't all be brilliant diarists. :)

Date: 2003-09-06 11:48 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
Awww. That's too bad. Working weekends is no fun.

Date: 2003-09-06 12:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mouse-rat.livejournal.com
Question about the RPG: Will you let me know what was in that little box Maeglin sent to Ecthelion, or should I be creative? ;)

Date: 2003-09-06 01:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Oh, I'll let you know what's in the box as soon as you're ready to have Ecthelion unwrap it. :)

Date: 2003-09-07 02:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] merrymaia.livejournal.com
Definitely going back to the zoo tomorrow (assuming it doesn't rain).

According to www.weather.com, it is currently sunny, 86 degrees, and not humid (28% humidity) in Omaha Nebraska. I hope that means that you are at the zoo!!

So this afternoon will be spent reading Pap smears and dictating a few leftover surgicals.

Anything interesting?

My local astronomy club's monthly meeting was held last night. The program was on mirror-making, and was a lot of fun.

Neat!

There was some talk about setting up a class for the club members; if that becomes a reality, I think I might sign up. It would definitely be a lot of fun! Of course, grinding the mirror is only the first part - then I'd have to build the scope itself. But that might be a fun project, also (although my woodworking skills are minimal at best).

Would it really require good woodworking skills? I mean, it doesn't have to look pretty to be a functional telescope, and it would be a fun project regardless of how it came out.




Date: 2003-09-07 04:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
According to www.weather.com, it is currently sunny, 86 degrees, and not humid (28% humidity) in Omaha Nebraska. I hope that means that you are at the zoo!!

I think it was a bit cooler than that. Perfect weather to be outdoors in! So I did indeed go to the zoo. And this time, I made it to the back of the park - and who did I run into back there but Pepper's cousin! The zoo had a display of parrots sitting on open-air perches in the Sensory Garden, and one of them was a sun conure. For me, it was kind of like turning the corner and suddenly seeing a poodle on exhibit. The zookeeper seemed impressed by the fact that I was able to name all the species of birds they had on display there.

Anything interesting?

Nope, which was good, really. "Interesting" is usually another way of saying "this case will require five times the time of a regular case!" And I was feeling lazy.

Would it really require good woodworking skills? I mean, it doesn't have to look pretty to be a functional telescope, and it would be a fun project regardless of how it came out.

Not outstanding woodworking skills, but there are a few places where you need to be able to cut accurately-shaped circles out of plywood, which requires power tools I don't have. But I agree that it would be a fun project, so if the club goes ahead with a mirror-grinding class, I may sign up for it anyway, and work out the details of how to build the telescope mount later. Who knows? I might be able to sucker convince my father (who owns every power tool in existence) to help me with that part.

Date: 2003-09-08 03:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
See, parents can be useful, one just has to approach them correctly!

And you're right, Gondolin has been lovely lately, but I guess it's not going last for long, Mole Boy will have to upset the apple cart!

Date: 2003-09-08 08:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Well, you've got to admit he's also getting a lot of help in doing it! So much for gossip being "harmless"!

Hope Idril's enjoying her lunch with Glorfindel, 'cause if she ever gets around to chatting with Maeglin afterward, I don't think it's going to be a pleasant experience.

Date: 2003-09-08 04:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
She may have to fetch him back from Anghabar yet. The silly bloke's going to sit and sulk in his mines, forgetting he's not fully recovered from his injuries and the Mines are still not safe. I reckon if he digs his heels in hard enough only Idril going to talk him out

Profile

ithilwen: (Default)
Ithilwen

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 04:14 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios