ithilwen: (Default)
[personal profile] ithilwen
I know I'm overdue for a real LJ update (blame the MEFAs). I'm hoping to get another Yellowstone post up either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, though you really need to check out this incredible photo of the Space Shuttle Atlantis and the Hubble Telescope transiting the sun and this photo sequence of a Space Shuttle launch, by astrophotographer Thierry Legault.

(Links courtesy of MetaFilter; I knew I browsed that site for a reason!)

Date: 2010-05-20 05:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] silver-trails.livejournal.com
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. :)

Date: 2010-05-21 01:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Glad you liked them!

Date: 2010-05-20 06:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wiseheart.livejournal.com
Beautiful! I always loved this kind of stuff; astronomy and space exploration and the likes. That brought me to science fiction in the first place.

Date: 2010-05-21 01:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
How can anyone not love astronomy and space exploration? It's incredible what our species can do nowadays - and very humbling when you realize just how big and dangerous the universe actually is.

Date: 2010-05-20 07:13 pm (UTC)
independence1776: Drawing of Maglor with a harp on right, words "sing of honor lost" and "Noldolantë" on the left and bottom, respectively (Magical)
From: [personal profile] independence1776
Gorgeous.

Date: 2010-05-21 01:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Sure is! :D

Date: 2010-05-20 08:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] decemberleaf.livejournal.com

Exciting and impressive.
____________

Date: 2010-05-21 01:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
It's even more impressive when you realize the work the photographer had to do to get the solar transit shot. Solar transits only last a minute or two, so he had to be set up and ready to go at exactly the right time to snap the shutter. And you don't get a second chance, so the exposure had to be right the very first time. Not easy!

Profile

ithilwen: (Default)
Ithilwen

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 03:33 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios