ithilwen: (Default)
[personal profile] ithilwen
I just found out what (knock on wood) I'll be doing about 7 years from now for my summer vacation. There's a total solar eclipse of the sun happening on August 21, 2017 which crosses directly over the middle of the United States - and I'm lucky enough to be only a 1-hour drive from the path of totality! If you live in the US or are planning to be traveling here during that time, check out this NASA map to see how far away from the path of the eclipse you're sitting, and start making your own vacation plans. Everyone should see a total eclipse at least once in their life if at all possible! There's simply no grander sight in Nature.

I think I'd better hold off on the actual vacation request form, though; I don't think my hospital's Human Resources department is up for scheduling an absence so far in advance. But barring some unforeseen catastrophe, there's no chance in Hell I'll be anywhere but in the path of totality on that day!

(For my non-US LJ friends, I can recommend looking at the charts halfway down this page to find some total eclipse possibilities closer to home. Looks like the Aussies and Kiwis get a crack at one on November 13, 2012 (although it looks like most of the path of totality occurs over the sea, so some traveling would still be involved), and northern Europe sees one on March 20, 2015.)

Edited to Add: Did you know we're incredibly lucky to be living in the brief window of time when a total solar eclipse seen from the surface of the Earth is even possible? The moon is slowly moving farther away from Earth; right now, it's at just the right distance to be the same angular diameter in the sky as the sun, and thus can cover the sun's disk completely. In a few tens of thousands of years, the moon will have moved far enough away that its angular diameter will be too small to cover the sun's disk completely, and that will be the end of total solar eclipses viewable from Earth; they'll all be either annular or partial from that point on. So total eclipses are even rarer than you knew!

Edited Again to Add: Talk about an appropriate photo - check out today's APOD eclipse pic!

Date: 2010-08-04 04:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wood-elf.livejournal.com
:D Eclipse tourism. Already got a 2015 trip to the Faroe Islands pencilled in, but have heard they get about 3 clear days a year so maybe not the best eclipse-viewing point. Maybe in 7 years I can save up enough to travel to the US and watch that one with you.

I did not know that about the moon. Very interesting! So many eclipses as plot points in fiction but they're really just a massive Earth-specific coincidence.

Date: 2010-08-04 07:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
If you decide to come, you'll be welcome! I'll even throw in free lodging at the luxurious Hotel Himring. :D

Date: 2010-08-04 08:00 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] silver-trails.livejournal.com
Maybe next year *looks at the chart*. I haven't seen a total eclipse since I was little. I think I have seen two, one total and one partial.

Date: 2010-08-04 08:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
I've seen several partial solar eclipses, but never a total. Here's hoping you'll get to view that one next year!

Date: 2010-08-04 09:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
I guess the solar flares just started us all off on astronomy. :) Well, though you've been into it a lot longer than me and my sporadic interest in big things.

Date: 2010-08-04 09:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Solar flares? I hadn't heard about those. *is interested*

I've been into astronomy since I was sixteen, courtesy of attending a high school that had its own planetarium and offered an elective astronomy class. One of my earliest eclipse memories is from that class: we spent an afternoon watching the solar eclipse of 1979 in the school parking lot. (It was a total eclipse in Montana, but only a partial eclipse in the Chicago area. Still, it was a pretty special sight!)

Date: 2010-08-04 10:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
<a href="http://www.examiner.com/x-25803-Natural-Disasters-Examiner~y2010m8d4-Solar-flare-lights-up-the-nighttime-auroras-providing-spectacular-show</a>here</a>. Before this, I'd only heard about it on Doctor Who.:p

Date: 2010-08-04 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
here. Before this, I'd only heard about it on Doctor Who.:p

Oops. There.

Date: 2010-08-05 01:11 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Cool! Not that I could have seen it, even if I hadn't been working late (grumble) - it poured rain last night. Clouds always come when you least want them!

Date: 2010-08-05 03:22 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
:( I hear the weather out there has just been brutal.

Date: 2010-08-05 04:08 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
It's been either extremely hot and muggy, or storming and flooding everything. Very odd weather, and not much fun!

Date: 2010-08-04 11:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] decemberleaf.livejournal.com

Hotel Himring sounds great (I've got a good sleeping bag I could pack for the occasion). Are you quite serious?
____________

Date: 2010-08-05 01:12 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Assuming I'm still out here in seven years, and nothing horrible has come up to disrupt my plans to see this thing, yes, I'm serious. You and Maia will both be welcome to visit me here and see the big show!

Date: 2010-08-05 01:26 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] teaforme.livejournal.com
That is awesome! You have definitely become the vacationer extraordinaire.

However, even old stick-in-the-mud Moi may have to venture forth for that. I mean, aren't these usually only visible over a tiny portion of some uninhabitable wasteland halfway around the world (from me, anyway)? This one is too close not to go!

Date: 2010-08-05 04:04 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Yes, it's rare for a total eclipse to occur over a viewing area that's so convenient for such a large population. This one's not to be missed!

Date: 2010-08-05 03:16 am (UTC)
independence1776: Drawing of Maglor with a harp on right, words "sing of honor lost" and "Noldolantë" on the left and bottom, respectively (Default)
From: [personal profile] independence1776
The path for that one isn't too far for me, either. (If I'm still here, that is.) And there's one in 2024 that's even closer! Either way, I'm going to see at least one of them.

Date: 2010-08-05 04:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Yes, the 2024 total eclipse is also extremely well-positioned for North Americans. Who knows? You might get to see both!

Date: 2010-08-05 04:13 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] anna-wing.livejournal.com
Alas, I have contrived to miss every eclipse, lunar or solar, anywhere that I have been since childhood, mostly due to extreme local cloud cover. Even the one where I got up at 4 am specially. Did the clouds clear in acknowledgement of this sacrifice? They did not, thus confirming that the Fallacy is indeed Pathetic.

Date: 2010-08-05 01:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Clearly you emit some sort of anti-eclipse field! Maybe if you try to see the one over Iceland in 2015 you'll have better luck?

Profile

ithilwen: (Default)
Ithilwen

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 03:33 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios