ithilwen: (Default)
[personal profile] ithilwen
The talk I gave for OB-Gyn Grand Rounds went well. That was the only part of the workday that did. The hospital computer system went down "for 30 minutes" at 10:30 AM, and didn't come back up until 2:30 PM. So the entire day was essentially wasted, and I have half my day's work sitting on my desk, to do over the weekend if I'm ambitious or to add to Monday's load if I'm not.

Fortunately digging holes is a good way to relieve pent-up stress. I now have four new miniature roses planted in the backyard - two of them are climbers, and I think I'll stop by the nursery tomorrow and look at trellises for them. I also have the tomato plants packed up and ready to ship to [livejournal.com profile] merrymaia and [livejournal.com profile] murasaki99.

Time to dash off to Gondolin. Voronwe has a dinner-date with his parents, and it looks like Moleboy has a honeymoon to plan!

Date: 2004-05-07 08:08 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
:p Moleboy would be better able to enjoy his honeymoon if he hadn't gotten himself assigned to the King's kitchens.

Date: 2004-05-08 08:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
That just means he'll have to be twice as creative after sunset...

Date: 2004-05-09 12:08 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cirdan-havens.livejournal.com
Kitchen smut?

Date: 2004-05-08 09:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] murasaki99.livejournal.com
Good luck to the Mole (I've got bit of art of him somewhere if you want an image of him?)

Happily looking forward to tomatoes, thank you so much. The weather here has been gorgeous, so if they survive the trip they should do well.

Miniature roses are so cool. I like to grow them, but I've had a hard time getting them to overwinter. Gardening IS a great stress-releaser, sorry to hear about your sucky day. I'm now working on stress lowering activities myself. Off to transplant peppers.

Date: 2004-05-08 08:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
I'd love to see that bit of Mole artwork if you can find it.

I'm surprised to hear you have trouble getting miniature roses to over-winter; they're generally grown on their own roots, not grafted like the standard hybrid teas, and so are much tougher plants. Do you protect them the same way you do your larger roses?

Date: 2004-05-08 09:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] murasaki99.livejournal.com
Do you protect them the same way you do your larger roses?

Um... you're supposed to protect roses? I've been using the 'survival of the fittest' technique. So far none of my big roses has died, although this year they needed a lot of dead winterkilled canes cut back. The minis were in pots and probably froze through. Didn't think to pull them into the plant room during the sudden cold snap.

What else are we supposed to do for them? I was an ag major for my undergrad degree, but my plant classes were mostly crop science. :-P

Will find the Mole pic and send via email.

Date: 2004-05-08 10:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Well, if they are planted in the ground, it helps to cover the crown of the rosebush with insulating material - leaves or other mulch or soil. This helps protect the graft union (on standard roses, not minis) and keeps the soil over the roots a more even temperature so the plant isn't stressed or killed by those repeated 'freeze-thaw' cycles that often occur during the winter. If your minis are in pots, you need to move them to a place where they'll be cold but won't freeze hard; most of mine are in large pots (which sit on the deck during the summer), and I put them in my garage, which (since it's attached to my house) stays a bit warmer than the outdoor temperatures (although it's still quite cold) and is protected from those January blasts of Arctic wind. You may also need to water them a few times while they're in "cold storage", too!

Date: 2004-05-08 10:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Well, if they are planted in the ground, it helps to cover the crown of the rosebush with insulating material - leaves or other mulch or soil. This helps protect the graft union (on standard roses, not minis) and keeps the soil over the roots a more even temperature so the plant isn't stressed or killed by those repeated 'freeze-thaw' cycles that often occur during the winter. If your minis are in pots, you need to move them to a place where they'll be cold but won't freeze hard; most of mine are in large pots (which sit on the deck during the summer), and I put them in my garage, which (since it's attached to my house) stays a bit warmer than the outdoor temperatures (although it's still quite cold) and is protected from those January blasts of Arctic wind. You may also need to water them a few times while they're in "cold storage", too!

Date: 2004-05-09 01:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
Argh, don't you hate that, when a system's done for hours longer than it's supposed to be? What would have happened if there'd been an emergency? And joy indeed, the prospect of weekend work or an extra busy day Monday. What fun. The only good thing is your Minature Roses!

The Mole sounds quite happy and pleased with things now. Idril's happy for him, I just wonder how Maeglin will react when she congratulates him?

Date: 2004-05-09 12:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Idril's happy for him, I just wonder how Maeglin will react when she congratulates him?

I can't even begin to imagine this scene.

Date: 2004-05-11 03:22 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
Well, tell Maeglin to brace himself, and give him some tranquilliers. Because she will congratulate him, and be happy for her cousin, and not only because she'll mistakenly believe his interest in her will diminish, but also because she'll be genuinely happy that Maeglin's found happiness.

Date: 2004-05-11 03:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
She should know better - Maeglin and happiness do not go together. Still, it's a nice thought.

Date: 2004-05-11 06:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
Very true, but I think Idril's hoping that this time her little cousin might find a bit of happiness.

So much seems to go badly wrong in the Mole's life that I often wonder if he really has been born with a sad fate attached to him, and it's not really all his fault at all.

Date: 2004-05-12 06:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
Certainly the Silmarillion implies that Elves' fates are a part of the Music, which implies unfortunate things for Lomion...

Date: 2004-05-12 03:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jilba.livejournal.com
It really doesn't seem quite fair that it appears no matter what Maeglin does he'll just wind up in deeper trouble. I guess you fight fate for a while, but if Eru has decided that you will do something, eventually you will. Poor Maeglin!

I see he's survived Idril figuring out what's so different about him for now.

Date: 2004-05-13 10:08 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] merrymaia.livejournal.com
I'm glad the talk went well! (What was it on?)

How annoying about the hospital computer system!!
"To err is human; to truly foul things up requires a computer."

Fortunately digging holes is a good way to relieve pent-up stress. I now have four new miniature roses planted in the backyard - two of them are climbers, and I think I'll stop by the nursery tomorrow and look at trellises for them.

Wonderful!

Y'know, you could've used "Yavanna" as your LJ-name - it would have been appropriate!

I also have the tomato plants packed up and ready to ship to merrymaia and murasaki99.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

Date: 2004-05-13 05:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ithilwen.livejournal.com
The talk was on the uses of HPV testing in conjunction with Pap smears.

Y'know, you could've used "Yavanna" as your LJ-name - it would have been appropriate!

Didn't think of it. And besides, it's nice to have one name to use fandom-wide.

Good luck with the tomatoes!

Profile

ithilwen: (Default)
Ithilwen

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 04:14 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios